About the Institute
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur is one of the thirty-one National Institutes of Technology in the country. The Govt. of India conferred on the Institute, the Deemed to be University status under University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (Section 3 of 1956) with effect from 26th June 2002. Subsequently, the Central Govt. by Act of Parliament (National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007 (29 of 2007)) declared VNIT Nagpur as an Institute of National Importance along with all other NITs. The Act was brought into force on 15th August 2007. Earlier, the Institute was known as Visvesvaraya Regional College of Engineering (VRCE). It was established in the year 1960 under the scheme sponsored by Govt. of India and Govt. of Maharashtra. The college was started in June 1960 by amalgamating the State Govt. Engineering College functioning in Nagpur since July 1956. In the meeting held in October 1962, the Governing Board of the College resolved to name it after the eminent engineer, planner, and statesman of the country Sir M. Visvesvaraya.
About the Department
The department of Metallurgical Engineering was founded in 1965 and the first batch of students passed out in 1969. The faculty and the equipment facilities in the department are well developed over the last four decades for UG/PG programme in Metallurgical and Materials Engg. Research programs are catering to the requirement of industrial testing and consultancy.
The faculty has established excellent rapport and effective interaction with all the major industries and R & D organizations in and around Nagpur. This has resulted in the regular flow of testing/consultancy work. The department is also actively engaged in continuing education programs on Welding, Failure analysis, Testing and QC, Casting and solidification processes, Electric steel making, Structure-Property correlation, etc. for industries in the region.